I spend a lot of my time working at a computer. Most of the time I really enjoy it. I was just thinking about the many tools that I use that enable me to get my work done and I thought I should acknowledge some of them.
- Moodle– open source educational content management software. It is very hard to beat when it comes to finding something that is able to provide so many resources and remain open source.Â I am putting together more and more online courses and Moodle is a great too.
- WordPress – where would we be without it. I am using it as a CMS for one of my other sites (FortressEquip)Â and find that for a smaller site it is hard to beat. Joomla is also an excellent product but for many purposes WordPress is a more than sufficient CMS.
- Gimp – Great for editing photos. A little complicated at first but once you get the hang of it it is fine. I am only very basic in what I want to do to images anyway so Gimp is fine.
- OpenOffice – Is fine for most office applications. It talks to Microsoft applications so you are still able to communicate to others.
- WordPress plugins – there are so many of them that I won’t try to mention them all now. But they make using WordPress that much easier. There are also many theme developers out there as well who enable smaller organisations to be able to produce a far more professional quality site because of their giving.
- Firefox – A great browser. Why would anyone want to use Explorer. And I feel much safer with my information using Firefox.
All of these contribute to what I do online and they do it for free. Because they have a belief that life is about contributing to others. The more that I use the web the more that I see the extent of this commitment and the benefits they bring to other people.
I was sitting here thinking and just wanted to say a quick thank you.