In a survey done on the CEO’s of the top 100 companies in New York the following qualities were expressed as most desirable of leaders. It is interesting to note that none of the qualities had anything to do with business acumen. The main qualities were all to do with a person’s character.
- Never compromise on matters of principle nor standards of excellence, even on minor issues.
- Be patient and never give up
- Have a vision of where you are going and communicate it to others
- Know what you stand for; set high standards and don’t be afraid to take on tough problems despite the risk.
- Spend less time managing and more time leading. Lead by example.
- Bring out the best in others. Hire the best people you can find, then delegate authority and responsibility, but stay in touch.
- Have confidence in yourself and in those around you; trust others.
- Accept blame for failures and credit others with success. Possess integrity and personal courage.